Friday, December 15, 2006

Remembering 2006

The year is close to a happy ending. 2006 was full of moments of joy; full of reasons to celebrate.

It was a year for making new friends, and for strengthening some old friendships. It was a year of traveling, to the UK, Hungary, Spain, traveling home and spending 3 wonderful weeks with my family and friends in Colombia, and showing my country to some of my Estonian friends. A year for traveling to far away Russia, and to the beautiful Austria.

The year 2006 was also a year of hard work. In Elcoteq I have learnt so many things; I like to work in such a professional company. But it was also time of hard academic work: yes, on the 21st of December I will graduate from my Master in Environmental Management!

This year started with a great party in Aruküla, a small town near Tallinn, with my very good friend Gert and his friends. Fireworks, drinks, friendship, Gert’s mother, snow! It was a beautiful winter.

Then came a short trip to Glasgow and London, facilitating an AIESEC conference there. Short time after that a wonderful holiday in Hungary visiting my dear friend Anett and her family.

Very soon winter was over and spring was here… winds of change started to blow. Planning my trip home was great, being there was amazing, seeing the faces of happiness of Maris, Triinu and Rauno while discovering Colombia was just unbelievable.

Some days in Spain made me fall in love with that country.

Then coming back to Estonia to live in a new flat. It was a small change in my life, but it really made me see a new face of Tallinn.

Then came my birthday, the happiest bday celebration I have had in long time… the whole day hiking in the forest and lakes of Nelijärve with some of my closest friends… memories full of smiles, trees, sun and even some refreshing rain.

Autumn came, and with it the chance to go to the exotic Ufa, a city near the Urals, in Russia. I went to chair an AIESEC conference. Amazing people, crazy adventures traveling 42 hours by train from Tallinn to Ufa, discovering Moscow… uff, so many memories!

During the year there were moments of saying good bye as well… to Nico, who went back to France; Andrew, back now in the US, Ott (Otto el Piloto J), who also went to France looking for a new life; Good bye to my family & friends in Colombia … miss you guys!

Now is middle of December; a month that has brought to me the biggest changes in long time: my graduation from my master and a final decision of saying good bye to 3 and a half long, but happy years in Estonia. It’s unbelievable that in less than a month I must say good bye to this country, to my home. Estonia will always be in my heart! My dearest friends here: Gert, Jane, Gabriel, Jaan, Helena, Ardi, Sven, Maris… I will really miss you. But I’m sure we will meet again soon… somewhere in this crazy planet.

From the 8 till the 12th of December I was in Austria. I went for an assessment center to join IBM. On Monday the 11th, 7 candidates (from Sweden, Slovakia, Czech Rep., Croatia, Poland, Switzerlan/Albania and Colombia-me) were there applying for a job. After a long day of individual and group tasks and presentations we got the feedback: Monika (Czech), Lukas (Slovakia) and I were selected as the new Junior Service Product Managers for the Global Technology Services of IBM, based at the regional headquarters in Vienna!! One week later, David (Sweden) was also selected as part of the team.

So my dear friends, soon I will be moving to the capital of Austria to start with a new life full of adventures and dreams to come true. Working at IBM will be very challenging, the job will be very hard for sure, but at the same time it will be extremely rewarding. And Vienna… oh, it is such a beautiful city! I’m sure I will be very happy there…

Thanks to all of you for contributing to what I call a very successful year! I will keep you posted on what is happening in my life during 2007. I hope to see you in Vienna, or somewhere else in this crazy world of God.

Merry Christmas and Happy 2007!

Alberto

No comments: